Alicia R. Washington, P.A.
South State Street
Bunnell, FL 32110

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.

Click here to review my CV


criminal defense, auto accidents

Criminal Defense

Q: I am charged with a crime; what will happen next?

A: At arraignment you will enter a plea of either not guilty, guilty, or nolo contendre. If you retain an attorney, your appearance may be waived. If you plead not guilty, your case will be set for a pretrial and a trial date. If necessary for preparation of your defense, a request can be made to continue your case. If after carefully reviewing your case you decide to enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, you can do so at pretrial. Your sentencing could occur on the same day of your plea or the same day of your trial if you are found guilty. Sentencing options may include probation, incarceration, house arrest, fines and penalties, other special conditions, or a combination of all of the above. Sentencing is based on the nature of the offense, your past history, and your threat to the community.

Marital and Family Law

Q: I want a divorce, but my spouse will not cooperate. What can I do?

A: There are only two grounds for dissolution of marriage in Florida: an irretrievably broken marriage and mental incompetence. You can file a Petition for Dissolution with the Clerk. Your spouse has to be formally served with copies. Other pleadings may be required in your case. An attorney can help you navigate through the process. If you cannot afford an attorney, there are self-help forms and instructions available at the clerk of court or online at There must be a finding at the final hearing that the marriage is irretrievably broken and this finding must be based on the evidence presented at the hearing. Such evidence is usually based on your testimony.

Construction Law

Q: I am a subcontractor who performed work on a new construction. The general contractor refuses to pay me; what can I do?

A: You can file a Claim of Lien with the Clerk of Court in the county where the property is located. You or your attorney will then have to commence a suit to foreclose on the lien. If successful in obtaining a judgment, the property would go to a foreclosure sale and the proceeds would be used to satisfy your lien.

Admin Log-in